The Happy Home Cook features cherished recipes of Filipino dishes from well-known foodies and contributors. If you have a recipe that you are proud of and would like to share, please send it along with a photo of the dish, your two-sentence bio and your picture to email@example.com.
A classic turon recipe from B Sweet Dessert Bar's Barbara Batiste.
6-8 pieces ripe bananas, cut in half lengthwise, about 3"length
12 - 15 strips of jackfruit (I like to put in a little extra)
12 - 15 pieces spring roll wrappers
1 1/2 cups brown sugar
Cooking oil for frying
Preparation Time: 5 minutes
Cooking Time: 20 minutes
1. Separate the spring roll wrappers, arrange your plates in sequence : sliced banana, sugar, jackfruit.
2. Lay the wrapper, dip the banana in sugar and put on one end of the wrapper, lay a slice of jackfruit on top.
3. Fold starting at the end of the wrapper with the filling, fold the 2 sides in, then roll up to the end. Seal the end with water.
4. Heat up the oil in medium heat and fry the turon with the sealed end side down first (to keep it sealed). Cook until slightly browned and flip.
5. Fry the other side, and once slightly browned, sprinkle sugar (1 tablespoon per roll) onto the oil to caramelize and glaze the fried roll.
6. Cook until golden brown.