The Happy Home Cook features cherished recipes of Filipino dishes from well-known foodies and contributors. If you have a recipe that you are proud of and would like to share, please send it along with a photo of the dish, your two-sentence bio and your picture to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Serves 6-8 persons
3/4 kilo squid
1 cup flour
Salt, pepper to taste
1/4 cup finely chopped spring onions
3/4 cup oil
1 egg, beaten
4-5 tablespoons orange marmalade
3 tablespoons Dijon mustard
2 tablespoons honey
1/2 teaspoon hot sauce
1. Slice squid into rings then dry with paper towels.
2. In a bowl, combine the flour, chili powder, salt, pepper and spring onions. Mix well.
3. Heat oil for frying.
4. Dip squid rings individually in beaten egg then coat with the flour mixture.
5. Fry in hot oil until golden brown. Drain on paper towels.
6. Combine the ingredients for the sauce.
7. Serve calamares with the sauce on the side.
Prep and cooking time: 40 minutes
From Pulutan: From the Soldiers' Kitchen by Elmer D. Cruz and Emerson R. Rosales. Ellen T. Tordesillas and Yvonne T. Chua, editors. (Anvil Publishing, 2007)