The Happy Home Cook features cherished recipes of Filipino dishes from well-known foodies and contributors. If you have a recipe that you are proud of and would like to share, please send it along with a photo of the dish, your two-sentence bio and your picture to email@example.com.
1 kilo pork jowl (face) or pork belly
Salt and black pepper to taste
2 Tablespoons vegetable oil
1 large onion, minced
1 knob fresh ginger, minced
3 cloves garlic
3 pieces long green finger chiles (pang-sigang)
¼ kilo chicken liver
3 Tablespoons soy sauce
3 to 5 pieces calamansi
1. Place enough water in a big stockpot and bring to a boil. Water should be enough to cover the pork when added.
2. Add the pork jowl (or pork belly) then simmer for 40 minutes to one hour till tender. Season with salt and pepper.
3. Remove the boiled pork and drain excess water.
4. Grill the pork then chop into small pieces.
5. Heat vegetable oil in a skillet. Add onions and cook till translucent.
6. Add the ginger garlic and green finger chiles and sauté.
7. Add the chicken liver and mash while cooking in the skillet.
8. Add the chopped pork, stir and cook for 10 to 12 minutes.
9. Season with soy sauce, salt and pepper to taste.
10. Transfer to a serving platter and garnish with calamansi and chopped green finger chilies.
For more on Chef Jam Melchor: