The Happy Home Cook features cherished recipes of Filipino dishes from well-known foodies and contributors. If you have a recipe that you are proud of and would like to share, please send it along with a photo of the dish, your two-sentence bio and your picture to email@example.com.
Recipe by Rowie Ramos of Rowie’s Bakery
* Drain 1 can fruit cocktail
1 cup flour (sifted)
1 tsp baking powder
¼ tsp salt
1 tsp vanilla
½ cup sugar
¼ cup milk
2 tbsp oil
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
Combine all liquid ingredients in a mixing bowl using paddle attachment. Mix at low speed until all ingredients are blended together. Set aside.
Beat eggs and sugar using wire whisk and mix at low speed for a minute.
Increase to medium speed and continue mixing until soft peaks.
Decrease to low speed and fold dry ingredients and mix for 10 seconds or until mixture is incorporated.
Add oil for a few minutes.
Pour batter into prepared pan.
Bake for 12 minutes or until cake tester comes out clean.
Cool on a cooling rack for 10 minutes.
1 cup sugar
1/3 cup all-purpose flour
2 ¼ cup milk
½ cup water
3 egg yolks
2 tbsp butter
1 tsp vanilla
Combine flour and sugar in a large saucepan, mixing well.
Add milk and water. Stir well using a whisk until sugar is dissolved
Cook over low heat, stirring continuously until mixture thickens for approximately 10 minutes.
Remove from heat and add one egg yolk at a time, whisking well after each one.
Put back to cook until mixture thickens and texture is spreadable (about 10- to-15 minute cooking time in low heat).
Add butter and vanilla, whisking well.
½ cup butter (softened)
3 cups confectioner’s sugar
½ tsp vanilla
6 tablespoon milk
Beat butter until creamy.
Add confectioners’ sugar, vanilla. and milk until all well blended together.
Add vanilla and milk and continue beating until fully blended, scraping occasionally
Unflavored gelatin (follow directions of packet).
Procedure/Assemble for Fruta de Crema
1. Slice your sponge cake into 3 equal parts. Place first part/layer in a dish pan.
2. Spread the buttercream on top of the cake layer followed by spreading the custard filling and fruit cocktail.
3. Repeat step #2 for the second layer.
4. Top with the last layer of the cake.
5. Spread the remaining custard filling on top of the cake and decorate with peaches or any fruits you prefer.
6. After decorating, slowly pour the warm gelatine on top of the cake and let it set. Place in fridge before serving.