The stroke of midnight on New Year's Eve is when we entertain the illusion that our wishes will come true.
I have a bumper crop of wishes this year, after a 2013 that was too eventful for comfort:
- A break from natural disasters for our homeland.
- Legal "just desserts" for corrupt government officials.
- A charismatic, able and electable non-traditional politician as a serious presidential contender for 2016 in the Philippines.
- Gay rights become universal.
- Immigration reform passes in the US.
- President Obama announces the appointment of General Antonio Taguba to an important government post.
- No more wars. This includes the insurgencies in the Philippines.
- The multinational coming together that transpired for the Haiyan survivors becomes a permanent thing, not just during disasters.
- Bruno Mars wins big in the Grammys and comes out with another song as beautiful and poignant as "When I Was Your Man."
- Those who felt that they were at the bottom of life's Ferris Wheel last year take their turn on top of the world.